Friday, June 3, 2011

#170 - A Family of Four

On Wednesday, June 1, 2011, our second child was born - a beautiful and healthy baby boy!

Benjamin Lawrence Saez
6/1/11 at 8:10 am
7 lbs, 1 oz, 18 3/4 inches

After nearly nine weeks of bed rest, and two bouts of pre-term labor, Benjamin is here!

On Tuesday, I went to my regularly scheduled weekly OB appt. This week, they also performed a growth ultrasound, which estimated our baby to be nearly 7 pounds. During the exam, our doctor told me that I was four centimeters dilated, and suggested we head over to the hospital. We were shocked! Just a few days before, I had not been anywhere close to labor, and I was having very few contractions. Still in disbelief, we headed home to pack our bags, get Owen ready and see how I felt as the evening progressed.

It wasn't long after we got home that we decided go to the hospital. We checked in around 6:45, and we were admitted to Labor & Delivery about 9:00 pm (they were very busy). Shortly thereafter, I received an epidural. The epidural felt great, and Lou and I settled in for the night, getting one last night of decent sleep before our world turned upside down.


At 6:00 am, I was examined again and was a little disappointed to learn I was only 6 cm. However, by 7:00 am, I was 8 cm, and when my doctor came back at 8:00 am, I was 10 cm, and ready to have a baby! They got the room prepped, and at 8:06 am, I started to push. Four minutes and three pushes later, our little boy was born!

We saw right away that it was a boy, and were instantly in love. We were both crying tears of joy at this wonderful gift. Little Benjamin loudly demonstrated just how healthy he was. After all the anxiety and worry we felt over the last two months, seeing and hearing him was one of the most profound moments of our lives.

He weighed in at 7 lbs, 1 ounce, not too far from the ultrasound's estimate of 6 lbs, 11 ounces. Can you see how long his little toes are? So sweet!

After the super easy delivery, I was one happy Mommy! Holding my little boy was the best feeling ever.


Because the delivery was so fast, Benjamin was very bruised and swollen. You could see the black and blue marks across his face and arms, and his eyes were nearly swollen shut. It took just a few hours for the swelling and bruising to go down.

Lou was there by my side the entire time. He held my hand, stroked my hair and supported me throughout the night. In fact, he was the most loving and supportive husband and father for this entire pregnancy. He went to every single doctor's appointment and took care of me and Owen when I was put on bed rest. On our darkest day, when I was rushed to the hospital at 7 months pregnant, he was waiting in the ER parking lot with a wheel chair, and ran me down the hallways of the hospital to meet with the doctor. He has been a full-time dad to Owen and part-time mom too, all while working hard to provide for our family. And he did it without complaint or blame.... just with love. Owen, Benjamin and I are so very, very blessed.


We are also so grateful that my mom was here. After learning I was in labor, she was in Savannah just two hours later. Not only was it a big treat for Owen to have Nana here, but like she always does, she stepped right in and took over for us - taking care of Owen, cleaning the house, cooking us dinner, making beds, etc. And best of all, she got to meet Benjamin when he was just a few minutes old. She loves her grandchildren so very much, and I can't wait to see what kind of special relationship Benjamin gets to have with her.

And, the very best part of having another boy....knowing that Owen and Benjamin will grow up together having that unique bond that only brothers can have. Owen could not wait to meet his little brother. Lou picked him up from Rebecca's that afternoon and brought him to the hospital. He ran into the hospital room like only a 2 year-old can, and stopped right at my bed, so eager to see the baby. The picture below captures the moment perfectly - the look of wonder and excitement on Owen's face when he sees his new best friend.

In a matter of seconds, Owen was asking to hold Benjamin.

He held him so close, as if Benjamin was his long lost friend. He gave him hugs that were a little too tight and kisses that were a little too wet, but he was the happiest big brother in the world.

And, finally, we got to sit together as a family of four. A proud Mommy and Daddy with their two sweet, sweet boys. Life is good. And, we thank God for our many blessings, especially these healthy children.


Finally, as June 1, 2011 came to an end, Lou and I took Benjamin to the newborn nursery for his first bath. I was not able to be there for Owen's first bath, and he loved it so much, so I was looking forward to watching Benjamin get his. Unfortunately, the little guy did not enjoy the water like his big brother did. He screamed and cried the entire time!

He stuck out that bottom lip and protested it all, including the mohawk at the end.

And, after all the excitement of the day, cleaned and swaddled, he was finally able to rest.

With much love and joy,
Katie, Lou, Owen and Benjamin Saez

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I love your story and I am just so happy for you guys! Boys are awesome and, even though they fight... a lot, they are best buds and will be forever!! He is so handsome!! And way to go Lou for being Super dad and husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Benjamin! I enjoyed you sharing the pictures. I especially love the first meeting between brothers. Owen's face is just precious as he is seeing his brother for the first time! Hope y'all are having a great first week home! - Michelle Harden

    ReplyDelete